Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Keyboard Instead Of A Coffee Run

Note: This is a Facebook note that I wrote on August 18, 2009 before entering the hospital. Share Tue at 12:11am

Watching the news and trying to work down my 'to do' list before morning (um hmm), and I go to my date with the O.R. - hopefully my last date with the O.R.! I'm excited to go into surgery because this is the best option for me, and because the outcome is going to be successful.

I'm very grateful to have a wonderful team of doctors and nurses and support professionals that have looked after me since I got sick in July. And in this season of discussion and debate about healthcare reform, I know that I am fortunate to be able to get the care that I need and to have health insurance to cover the costs. And after watching all of the wonderful work done by RAM at the Forum for the last week, I know that no citizen in our country should ever have to suffer for years and/or do without basic or expanded health care.

I've been less active on the reform issue than I planned to be (had to pace myself these last couple of months), but my fingers and my mouth have not been idle! If I had ten minutes and a cup of coffee with each of you, I would ask you who in America - our country - that YOU know -should be excluded from health benefits? Then I would ask each of you to ask someone else, and so on, etc. But I don't have that time today, and I'm NPO until after surgery, so I'll ask it here. Hopefully one (more) of you will ask someone, and so on, etc.

President Obama and the Congress weren't elected by any one group of citizens to lead the government. They were elected by people across the ethnic, economic, education and occupation spectrum because we have a whole lot of problems that we need to fix. Our country, our president deserve our support to do the right things, without the race-baiting (don't you get tired of the same old GOP games that blew up in your face?)

America is only as strong as our citizens, and if we have a nation of sick people that can't afford to get help, we're pretty damn weak. And we have a lot of broken stuff to fix, so we'd better all be well enough to get to work!

At 7 a.m. I'll be hanging with a great cardio team, and I love them all for their commitment to healing. I want the opportunity to get help to be available for every American. Please think of healthcare reform as one way for OUR country to be the best that WE can be. Love to you all!

(The OFA Day of Service logo was above this caption:)
Health care should not be left to health fairs.


Creative Commons License
The Window Seat by Karen Caffee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.karencaffee.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome as long as they are civil and constructive. No profanity or name-calling or denigration of any kind will be posted here.